Thursday, January 3, 2008

Christmas Cards From the Edge

Merry Christmas!! It's Christmas Eve here and I just got back from a nice dinner with some friends. Tomorrow will be a nice lunch with one group of coworkers and then dinner with another set. This year, like all other years in Asia, I received some pretty entertaining Christmas cards and presents from my students (a jar of vitamins).

I thought I'd share a few from my kindergarten students (ages 5-6). None have been edited for spelling or punctuation.

"To Matt Teacher. You are the funniest teacher in the whole wide world. Merry Christmas. From, Christine." Christine is an angel from Heaven who could do no wrong. Surprisingly, she is not friends with Sally J.

"To Matt. Silly man! why do you call names! Then your Cat Matt. From Irene." Irene is referring to the fact that I have silly nicknames for most of the students. Chris for Christine, E.K. for Erika K, Sarah-Berra, etc. The kids claim they hate the names, but it's obvious they dig the attention.

"Dear Matt Merry Christmas December 24 2007 From Junho." This card is actually the best English I've ever seen Junho use. The boy has the attention span of a squirrel. He also has the widest, flattest head I've ever seen.

"Dear Matt teacher, Please marry me. I will be a good wife. I will cook breakfast. I can't cook breakfast but I will give you toast. If you are ready please call me. I wish you have a nice Christmas. Love, Amy." Toast? Hmm, it's tempting. She's the cutest little kid and isn't afraid to tell me how she feels. For Halloween, she told me she was dressing up as a bride and I should dress as the groom. When all the kindergarten students were telling me not to call them nicknames, Amy asked for the extreme opposite. She put her fists under her chin, gazed up at me, and said, "Teacher, you can call me Baby."

"Dear Matt teacher. Everybody says You are the funnyest Teacher that they ever saw. Merry Christmas and happy new year. I hope you have a nice Christmas. From: Holly." I promise she's saying I make the class laugh, not that I'm ugly.

"Dear Matt teacher, Merry Christmas and Happy New year. Thank you for teaching me hard things. I love you very much and you are very nice and kind. from: Andy." Andy was the lead in my Christmas play. He's tops.

That's it for now. Have a great and safe holiday. Happy Holidays!

No comments: